- You created an account under the Enterprise plans (E1, E2, E3, or E4)
- You don't have more than 300 users and would like to change to the Office 365 small or midsize business plans (Small Business, Small Business Premium, Midsize Business)
- As of 10/4/2014 Microsoft now supports this. Thank you Microsoft! :)
- I have redacted the complaint below.
Microsoft is scalping its clients by not providing an option to downgrade these accounts Their recommendation is to delete your old account and then create a new account, then migrate all your emails, sites, and apps to the new account! This is a ridiculous requirement that will result in tens of hours of configuration and system downtime This may also result in data loss if not done correctly
- Downgrading the account must be done by adding the new subscription, reassigning licenses, and then cancelling the old subscription.
- Note: Just ignore the your data will be deleted warnings. As long as a user has valid licenses assigned, they will not lose their data.
If creating a new Office 365 account NEVER create an E1 plan unless you are immediately surpassing the 300 user limit Please open tickets with MS to support automated conversion from your Enterprise plan to Small Business plan Also petition MS to provide a billing discount solution to the enterprise plans to make up for their incompetence